الأحد، 25 نوفمبر 2012

Road in Etten”

On this day, October 17, 1881, Vincent van Gogh wrote to Theo: (summary)

My dear Theo,
I must tell you […] recently I’ve done a great deal of drawing, especially figure studies. If you saw them now, you’d surely see what direction I’m taking.

These days it’s beautiful outdoors in colour and tone, when I’ve gained some understanding of painting I’ll get around to expressing some of it, but we have to persevere, and now that I’m drawing figures I’ll go on with that until I’ve made a good deal more progress, and if I work outdoors it will be to do studies of trees, though actually viewing the trees as if they were figures […]

But Theo, I’m really so happy with my painting box […] I really do feel much more at home here in Holland, yes, I think that I’ll again become a Dutchman through and through, and don’t you think that’s actually the most sensible thing? […] Because, Theo, my actual career begins with painting, don’t you think it’s all right to see it that way? And now regards, accept a handshake in thought, and believe me.

Ever yours,
Vincenta

“Road in Etten” (1881)
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, NY

ليست هناك تعليقات: